Today I am making a broccoli and cheese soup. Broccoli and cheese seems to always be a favorite for people no matter what age. This soup is creamy, cheesy, and perfect for this chilly weather that’s been sticking around.
RECIPE FOR BROCCOLI AND CHEESE SOUP
- 4 garlic cloves (minced)
- 1/2 yellow onion (diced)
- 1 head of broccoli (cut into florets)
- 2 carrots (thinly sliced)
- 1 box of low sodium vegetable broth
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp oregano
- 1/4 tsp cayenne
- pepper to taste
- 1 tbsp olive oil
CHEESE SAUCE INGREDIENTS
- 1 medium sized sweet potato (peeled & chopped)
- 1/2 cup raw cashews (soaked)
- 1/4-1/2 cup nutritional yeast
- 1 to 2 cups unsweetened almond milk
- 1 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 tbsp vegan butter or coconut oil
- Start by boiling the sweet potato until it is soft. Set it aside.
- In a medium size pan, on medium heat, heat up the olive oil. Then, add the chopped onion and minced garlic. Saute for about 2-3 minutes.
- Add the sliced carrots to the pan and cook for another 2 -3 minutes.
- Stir in the cumin, oregano, cayenne, and pepper. Lower the heat to low and stir occasionally.
- In a large pot, on med/high heat, add the vegetable broth and broccoli. Let this come to a low boil. Toss in the garlic, onion, and carrots. Let this cook for about 10 minutes.
- While this is boiling you will want to place all of the ingredients for the cheese sauce into a high-speed blender. Blend until it is creamy with a nacho cheese type texture.
- Turn the stove down to low, slowly mix in the cheese sauce, stir, then serve!
note: for the cheese sauce, start out with 1 cup of almond milk. This texture might be a little on the thick side depending on the size of your sweet potato. Slowly add in more almond milk as needed until you get the correct consistency. You want it to be creamy (not so thick it’s difficult to blend but definitely not watery, aim for a mac & cheese type of texture).