Smoothies seem to be my go-to breakfast choice. When I wake up in the mornings I do not always feel like eating a big filling breakfast. I’m not sure if it is just me, but my stomach cannot handle a lot of food after waking up. The very first thing I do when I wake up is hydrate myself with a big 16oz glass of lemon water. The lemon water begins to wake me up enough to have the energy to make my bed, brush my teeth and begin my day by getting hands-on in the kitchen with minimum effort by whipping up a delicious, healthy breakfast smoothie.
My smoothies vary day to day. Sometimes I want something a little more “comforting” and that is when I would lean towards making a chocolate banana type smoothie and other days I feel like going full force into health and I’ll fill my blender up with lots of antioxidants, omega 3’s (such as chia seeds), iron, calcium and more. This particular smoothie provides energy, nutrients to fight off colds, kickstarts your metabolism, curves your appetite, and gives your body exactly what it needs to be healthy!
Cheers to antioxidants!
What you need:
- 1 frozen banana
- 1 cup frozen blueberries
- 2 big handfuls of fresh spinach
- 1 cup almond milk (or any type of plant-based milk)
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tbsp chia seeds (add additional seeds such as hemp, flax, pumpkin, etc.)
- 1/2 tsp fresh or ground ginger (I prefer fresh but it can be strong tasting)
What you need to do:
- Place all of the ingredients into a blender, blend or pulse until it becomes smooth.
- You can adjust the texture by adding ice if the smoothie is too thin or add a little water if it is too thick.
- Feel free to add toppings such as seeds, nuts, oats or even fresh fruit!
I wish you all the best of health!