I have been meaning to create a tofu scramble dish for a while now. It is easily one of my favorite breakfast dishes. The fantastic thing about this dish is that it is not limited to just breakfast. I love to eat it how it is, serve it with hash browns, or on avocado toast. Recently, I let it cool down in the fridge and then added some vegan mayo, a dash of vinegar, and mustard powder to create a delish egg salad for my husband’s lunches.
This is also a great dish to incorporate for holiday mornings spent with family. It can be appreciated by anyone, meat-eaters or not. Make a list, grab your apron, and whip up this simple – yet delicious, tofu scramble!
Note: I have provided a step-by-step picture guide. The full recipe is listed down below.
Unwrap and drain tofu from the package. Wrap it in either a clean cloth or paper towels, and place between two cutting boards with something heavy sitting on top for about 1 to 1.5 hours. (The same can be accomplished using a tofu press).
Dice the onion and garlic, heat in a non-stick pan on medium heat. Cook for about 3 minutes.
Unwrap drained tofu, and crumble it into an egg-like texture.
Add the crumbled tofu to the pan with the garlic and onion. Cook for about 10 minutes.
Lower the heat after 10 minutes, and add the spices and water to the pan of tofu, combine well.
Plate & serve. Eat it as is or plate with some potatoes or avocado toast!
Recipe: Here is the full recipe with instructions!
- 1 block extra firm tofu
- 1/4 cup red onion (diced)
- 2 garlic cloves (diced)
- 1/4 – 1/2 cup water
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 1/2 tsp black paper
- 1/8 tsp black salt
- 2 tbsp nutritional yeast
- Unpackage and drain the tofu. Wrap the tofu in a clean cloth or paper towels. Put the wrapped tofu between two cutting boards and place something heavy on top. I used a mortar and pestle, but something like a book or weight would work. The purpose is to drain the tofu of any liquid inside of it (If you have a tofu press that would work wonderfully!). Keep the tofu pressed for about 1 to 1.5 hours.
- After the tofu is done and drained completely of any liquid, unwrap and crumble it up with your fingers to resemble a scramble egg-like texture. Set it aside for now.
- On medium heat, heat a non-stick pan on the stove. Add the onions and garlic, saute for about 3 minutes.
- Add the crumbled tofu, cook for about 10 minutes. Make sure to stir every couple of minutes, try not to over stir so that the tofu doesn’t end up turning into tiny pieces. You want it to stay nice and fluffy.
- After about 10 minutes, lower the heat, add the spices and nutritional yeast. Mix in the water to help the tofu absorb the spices.
- Plate and serve!