Most mornings when I wake-up, I am a smoothie type of gal – here is a favorite: Energizing Banana Smoothie. However, for those days that I wake up craving something a bit more hearty, I typically reach for a big bowl of comforting oatmeal. I don’t know about you but I am a huge chocolate lover. Eating chocolate cake for breakfast is necessarily the healthiest thing to do, so I’ve decided to move on to the next best thing; delicious plant-based chocolate oatmeal made with healthy ingredients!
I was inspired to create this recipe after repetitively listening to one of my favorite vegan bloggers Naturally Stefanie talk about her love for chocolate. I can totally relate because it’s by far one of the most tasteful foods that have ever hit my tongue. She states that she has chocolate oats for breakfast nearly every day, and after creating this delicious recipe I can see why!
- 2 tbsp chia seeds + 4 tbsp water
- 1/2 cup rolled oats
- 1 cup + 1 tbsp plant-based milk (I used almond milk)
- 2 tbsp coco or cacao powder
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 2 tbsp cashew butter (or any nut butter)
- 1 tbsp maple syrup
- 1/2 banana
- In a small bowl, mix the 2 tbsp chia seeds with the 4 tbsp of water. Allow the seeds to soak for about 10 minutes. The chia seeds will absorb the water and turn gelatinous. Our bodies can better digest the seeds this way for full nutrient absorption.
- While you are soaking the chia seeds, you can get started on your chocolate oats. Turn your stove on to medium heat, combine your oats, cinnamon, cocoa, or cacao powder and 1 cup of the almond milk into a medium-size pot.
- Cook for around 5 to 10 minutes while staying close and keeping a consistent stir, we don’t want to burn them. A nice fluffy texture will be created and the oats will fully absorb the plant-milk. You know you are ready to place them into a bowl at this point.
- In another small bowl, mix the nut butter, maple syrup and remaining 1 tbsp of plant-milk.
- Use a whisk, and mix together until the nut butter becomes softer has a whipped like texture.
- Plate your oats, top with the chia seeds, whipped nut butter, and a 1/2 of banana. Feel free to add any additional toppings such as walnuts, chocolate chips, more maple syrup, hemp seeds, etc.
- Enjoy your delicious plant-based chocolate oatmeal!
Note: A nice modification to this recipe would be to cook your banana into the oats while they are on the stove, this will make for sweeter oatmeal, or simply add some extra maple syrup if you like your oats much sweeter then I do.